Xplora's award-winning smartwatches for kids come with a host of features that hundreds of thousands of parents and kids have embraced. Built-in GPS and the ability to create safe zones for your children is one of the options that is used extensively. Learn how and why you should use the GPS function here!
The cornerstone of Xplora's philosophy is free activity for the children and security for the parents. We also know that letting the children loose, giving them the opportunity to become independent and feel freedom, engage in free play and be active with friends, is incredibly important for the child's development.
Surveillance or perceived security?
At the same time, the world has changed in recent decades. Things are not always as clear and safe as one would like. You have probably heard the older generations say "yes, when we were children we went everywhere when we wanted, and it always went well". But the world is forever changing, and the technological development of recent years can help us to maneuver in everyday life.
At the same time, the discussion about increased surveillance in modern society is ongoing. To what extent are parents allowed to monitor their own children? How long are they allowed to follow every step they take, and how long is this desirable? All of these are relevant questions and issues that everyone should take seriously. Set your own limits - and find good solutions that suit your child and your family.
Freedom is healthy
Xplora's smart watches are a safe and ethically sound product, which manages your children's safety in a balanced way. Because by giving the children a smart watch, you also give them the opportunity to learn intercourse, interaction and socialize with others, without the parents running at their heels and watching like a hawk. Then we also know that it can be difficult for parents to let go, even if they know they should.
For children, it is important to experience a sense of mastery. Such experiences give children faith that their own learning and mastery is possible. They store such experiences in their memory. Experiences of not being able to succeed immediately without losing heart are important for mental health and coping with life. If you give them responsibility, this is something they will grow on and become more confident in themselves. They get this by exploring and trying themselves out - without the constant presence of parents and adults.
GPS with safe zones
With Xplora's smart watch, you get GPS and the ability to create custom security zones. In practice, this means that you will receive a notification the moment the child moves outside, or arrives, what you as parents have set as a geographical boundary. The push notification is sent to your mobile phone via the Xplora app, where you also create the safe zones. A safe zone has a minimum range of 300 meters and a maximum radius of 5,000 meters. There are no restrictions on the number of secure zones you can create, but two secure zones cannot overlap with each other.
Technology is not a substitute, but a supplement and a resource
A mobile can run out of power and it can short circuit. No technology is infallible. It is therefore important to emphasize that a smart watch is intended as a resource and a supplement in everyday life, and can never replace an adult who keeps an eye on the children.
How to create a safe zone
1. Open Xplora's parent app on your mobile and select the child you want to create a safe zone for.
2. Then click on the address that indicates the child's current location. Note that the watch must be charged for this information to be available. You will now get a map, with a marker, showing where the clock is located.
3. In the top menu on the screen, then press "S-Zone".
4. At the bottom, the option "Add/edit security zone" now appears. Select this one.
5. Here you get a list of all security zones that have been registered before. To create a new zone, press “+ Add new”.
6. Select the point you want to be in the center of the safe zone. This could be, for example, the home, the school or the playground.
7. Feel free to give the zone a descriptive name, and choose how large a radius the safe zone should have from 300 to 5,000 meters.
8. Finally press "Save". You have now created a safe zone and will be continuously notified when the child arrives or leaves the safety zone.
We hope this article helps!
Please let us know if you have any other questions. You can find us on all social media channels @Xplora_US