As we all know, too much screen time has unfavorable effects on sleep quality, attention span, and your child’s mental health (Learn more). Encouraging you to turn off your TV and tablet this summer, here are 30 screen-free activities for you and your family to enjoy - no matter rain or sun.
Enjoy the Garden
- Get competitive. Host a sports tournament or family Olympics
- Water balloon fight. Who doesn’t enjoy a good old-fashioned water balloon fight? Fill in as many balloons as possible before you start.
- Learn a new skill. Try to master handstands or cartwheels.
- Watch the clouds. Put down a blanket, look up, and take turns explaining what you see.
- Have a bonfire. Roast some hotdogs and s’mores.
- Backyard camping. Set up a tent in your own backyard and get comfy! This is a fun and safe way for your kids to try out camping for the first time
- Decorate the concrete. Get some sidewalk chalk and get creative in your own driveway.
- Obstacle course. Make an obstacle course in the yard and have fun. Play tag, or see who can make it through the course in the shortest amount of time.
Create DIY Fun
- Enjoy some ice cream. Make homemade popsicles or ice cream.
- Get artsy. Paint a family portrait or choose a random theme.
- Share the love. Make a card for a family member or a friend.
- Write a letter to your future self. Seal the letter shut and open it next summer.
- Cardboard creations. Use your leftover cardboard to make a dollhouse or a rocket ship.
- Create paper plate animal masks. Let your imagination run wild.
- Tissue paper sparklers for 4th of July. You’ll need colored tissue paper, a pair of scissors, white glue, and straws or skewers.
Explore the Outdoors
- Family bike ride. Ride around the neighborhood or drive to a different starting location.
- Explore the local farmer’s market. Walk around and enjoy locally-made treats.
- Have a picnic. Bring a football, some games, or a book, and head to your local park.
- Miniature golf. There’s nothing like a game of putt-putt on a summer day.
- Be a tourist. Explore your city as a tourist. Maybe there’s a guided tour that you could go on?
- Have fun on the water. Rent canoes or kayaks for the day.
- Go on a hike. Find a nearby route, or take a drive to explore a new area.
Shop Xplora Smartwatches so your child has the perfect summer companion!
Relax at Home
- Arrange a talent show. Have every family member sign up with their chosen talent and make a full evening out of it.
- Organize a board game night. Invite guests and have them all bring their favorite game.
- Family yoga. Put on some comfortable clothes and have fun with family yoga in the living room. Try out some poses where you have to use each other for balance and stability.
- Living room dance party. Create a playlist together and let loose. Could you turn it into a game?
- Spa day. Have a spa day at home, with cucumber water, footbaths, and face masks.
- Cupcake decorating. Bake your own or get some from the store, then have fun decorating them.
- Build a fort. Grab all the pillows and blankets that you can, and make use of the furniture.
- Get creative with dinner. Could you sit on the floor? Eat with your hands? It doesn’t take much to turn a normal dinner into a fun happening.
Xplora Smartwatches will be your child's personal summer companion!
Read how our X6Play will give you peace of mind!
Don't forget to share your summer adventures with us on @Xplora_US
Written By: Nora Netteland